Friday, March 30, 2018

The Case of the Sleepwalker's Niece

I've just finished reading The Sleepwalker's Niece. This Perry Mason novel was written back in 1936. There are more than a few anachronisms in the book that echoed the time when it was written, too. Well, I suppose I should call it The Case of the Sleepwalker's Niece as all Perry Mason books were The Case of...

Most of us know Perry Mason from the television show. Of course, many of those episodes were based on specific books written by Earle Stanley Gardner. Many of the best Perry Mason books were written back in the 1930's and 40's, long before the TV show. However, I can't help but visualize the characters of the books without seeing the actors that portrayed them on TV. That colors how I read the books, because their descriptions there are different and so are many of their actions.

I enjoyed the book. I wasn't surprised at "who done it" as I remembered the TV episode, but there were many scenes in the book that didn't make it to to TV.  It was those scenes that made the book really enjoyable.

If you liked the TV series, you'll like the books.

No comments:

Post a Comment